Tuesday, July 7, 2009

So it begins...

It's official. I've been accepted for a position in the Peace Corps. In five weeks, my life will be completely turned upside down leaving me to reassemble my world view. I'll be stationed in Panama for the next 27 months assisting a rural community in environmental health. Responsibilities will include community assessment, outreach in disease prevention, and construction and/or maintenance of water and waste management systems.



As I type, I'm processing a whirlwind of emotions. Excitement is dulled by nervousness, anticipation by anxiety. The result is my inner voice being swapped out for white noise.

I started a list of everything I need to do. All my worldly possessions have been transformed into a list of actions. My financial security has turned into my financial headache. My possessions have become inconveniences. I'm starting to see the two worlds colliding and I haven't even packed my bags.