Monday, June 20, 2011

My Morning Commute

My boss visited awhile back to see how things were going on the Rio Mananti.  He grabbed a shovel to help with the aqueduct.  We walked around the community.  I showed him a nearby swimming hole.  We talked about the frustrations and achievements of my time here.

One question he asked was to list three personal or professional successes.  I joked that one personal success was how comfortable I am in this setting, that to take a boat up the mouth of a river, hike an hour, and sleep soundly that night in a thatch roof hut in the jungle was as perfunctory as listening to NPR during a morning commute.

That got me thinking that it would be cool to show my actual commute. Every 3-4 weeks I "commute" from Calante to David, the regional capitol.  I hike an hour to Jon's site, Kwite.  From there it's an hour boat ride downriver and another two hours through the bay to Chiriqui Grande.  From Chiriqui Grande I hail a cab and ride 15 minutes to the highway where I pick up a bus for the 2+ hour ride through the mountains to David.

Here is my journey in photos from my site to David: