Friday, July 29, 2011

Calante Work Update

I should start this post with an apology.

Dear Calante Project Donors,

I did not build any composting latrines in Calante.  I'll get to how this all came about, but I just want you to know that I'm sorry.  However, all is not lost.  I was able to use some of the funds to build a second spring intake for the water system.  Instead of latrines, Calante now has unfettered access to clean water all year long.  This second spring will bridge the gap during the dry season and allow for any population growth in the future.  The remaining funds will be rolled up into a general fund for future Peace Corps projects.  Once again, my apologies.


Sincerely,
Austin

Sigh.  I remember when I was competent.  I remember when I got $#!* done and people thought, "Wow.  Austin gets $#!* done."  But that was all back when I understood the language, the people, the culture.  And maybe more importantly, that's when I was with people that understood me, the vision of what we were doing, and wanted to achieve that vision just as much as I did.

The nitty gritty is that families who had originally wanted latrines started to get cold feet. One family left the community (not because of the latrines).  In general, despite all the charlas and conversations, there was a disconnect about what was expected of them.  I would be building the latrines with them, not for them.  They would be paying a small portion of the cost.  This was all explained ad nauseam, but it took starting to bring in the materials for doubts to come out of the woodwork.

Another key aspect of composting latrines is adoption rates.  It's a great technology if used correctly.  Unfortunately, there's a long history of latrines falling into disrepair and not being used.  I didn't want to be a case study for future groups.  Furthermore, I didn't want to have an example latrine that still had all the bug and odor issues of traditional pit latrines.  My community already did not like pit latrines.  I was worried without a feeling of ownership, these families would actually dissuade adoption and make things even worse.  These sorts of things happen in development work.

I started to feel it in my gut at the beginning of the year.  Then in March they started talking about not wanting a follow-up volunteer.  In April we were back on track.  In May they didn't want a follow-up volunteer.  In June we were back on track.  You get the idea.  In that kind of climate, taking on the latrine project just didn't feel right.

So no, I didn't build the latrines.  I did build and connect the second water source.  When discussed in general terms, it suddenly becomes a theme for service.  There's an emotional roller coaster that is all consuming and riddled with misunderstandings. You don't complete what you had planned. Instead you end up changing plans and doing something else that may have been the better decision to begin with.