Friday, August 21, 2009

Settling In...

Here´s a quick post from a local internet cafe. In short, things are going really well. My spanish is improving, I´m learning a lot, and feeling good about the decision. Typical thoughts running through my mind include:

  • I wish I knew the word for...
  • They probably think I´m pretty dumb for not knowing the word for...
  • Three weeks ago, I was in an office...
And most recently:
  • I wish I knew where all the right keys were on this keyboard

Highlights of the last week include:

  • My host mother buying live hens for soup the next day
  • Having actual conversations in Spanish
  • Learning I´ll be going to a volunteer site next week that involves two buses, a taxi, and a boat ride
  • Buying a machete
  • Showering with a bucket
  • Becoming comfortable using a pit latrine
It´s definitely a change of lifestyle here, but I´m embracing in its entirety and loving the adventure. It also doesn't hurt that my host family is wonderful.