Monday, September 13, 2010

Help Support the People of Calante!

Background
I'm working on a composting latrine project in my community.  My community (and all other communities in region) use rivers and streams as their waste disposal system.  Obviously this creates health issues for those using water downriver.

After numerous community meetings, we've decided to move forward with the first phase of latrines in Calante.  This first phase is with a few families that have shown the most interest.  We're going to build seven composting latrines, which are structures built above ground so we don't have to worry about that pesky water table out here.  I've got some photos of one that I built a few months ago here.  The latrines are dry too, which means fewer bugs and fewer odors.  

It's a big cultural leap, but I feel good about these initial families being the early adopters that can teach others.  And as more families try to keep up with the Jones', more and more latrines can be built in the region.  That's the vision and you can help.


How to Help
You can help me on this project!  Donations are tax deductible.  I'll start construction the beginning of next year when weather is better and will be posting photos of progress on the blog.  I can also send personal emails or letters if you'd like.