Tuesday, December 15, 2009

General Debriefing

OK. So I just spent the past month in site. Here's a list of key points:
  • Lost 25 pounds
  • Got amoebas (see point about losing weight)
  • Almost finished building my house (see point about losing weight)
  • Subsisted off of rice and boiled green bananas (see point about losing weight)
  • Built a bridge crossing for an aqueduct on Thanksgiving
  • Gave a speech on Mother's Day to a group of 50 Ngabe mothers (December 12th is Mother's Day here)
  • Got a wicked spider bite
  • Hauled wood two hours through the jungle (hardest work I've ever done, ever)
  • Hauled wood every day for two weeks from the mountains behind the community (hard, but after the two hour haul, seemed somewhat manageable)
  • Cut penca (thatch for the roof of my house)
  • Helped hang a pig before they slaughtered it for Mother's Day (donating to PETA at some point)
  • Watched a pig getting slaughtered
  • Watched a cow getting slaughtered (same day)
  • Watched a chicken getting slaughtered (same day)
  • My camera died from the humidity
So yeah, things have been interesting. My health has seen better days. I'm hanging out this week, popping pills in David (2nd largest city in Panama) until all the fauna inside of me decides to leave. That aside, things are going well. My house is almost done, which means I'll be able to cook for myself shortly, which means that my health will get a lot better, and stay better.

Since I don't get to post that often (I figure I'll leave site every 3-4 weeks), I'm going to post a few blogs this go around. Feel free to cruise through the new stuff posted below this blog.