Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Two Year Plan

When I get back to the community, I'm going to have a big meeting to discuss what I'd like to accomplish over the next two years. A lot will come down to what the community wants to rally behind.

Regardless of the projects, I want to also concentrate on community organization. Here's why: There's a larger community/city a few hours away called Kankintu. For whatever reason, the Panamanian government has decided that Kankintu should get a disproportionate amount of attention for social programs, infrastructure improvements, etc. I think it's because the community is organized and, in that sense, easy to work with. So then there's my community. They're fairly organized, small, and the government is cutting a road behind the community. Once that road opens up, things are going to change. I want to make sure the community is ready for those changes. I want them to be organized so that when the government can start working with the community, they see my community as another Kankintu.

So I see myself forming committees. It's a good way to teach the soft skills like organization, working in groups, planning, etc.

OK, now for the actual projects:
  • Finishing touches on my community's aqueduct
    • Settling tank
    • Moving some of the pipes
    • Painting some pipes for UV protection
    • Building a few more tap stands
    • Sometimes there's air blocks up near the source - air valves or redoing pipe support system
  • Using a GPS, map out the watershed and register with the Panamanian government
  • Finish the aqueduct in the neighboring community where there's another Peace Corps volunteer (Jon)
  • Potentially help a third community with a water system
  • Implement a health promoter training program where community members are trained on nutrition, hygiene, correct medicine usage, and basic first aid. Community members then train other community members
  • Show my community how to start a garden (my garden is almost ready)
  • Show my community new stove designs that uses less wood and reduces smoke (I see my home being somewhat of a demonstration grounds for ideas for the community. I already got a lot of people passing by asking what I was up to when I was working on the garden and composting bin)
I think if I can tackle that list in the two years I'm here, I'll feel pretty f-ing good about my time here.