Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Teaching English

Teaching English... I had an interview with my APCD (boss) during training about teaching English. I basically stated I didn't want to do it, that I didn't think it was appropriate, that it wasn't why I was here, and could only see myself doing it as a trading card for having the community work on other things that I wanted to work on. In only six weeks, I've come to realize a lot about development work, paternalism, and how much I've changed.

I teach English 2-3 times a week, depending on what's going on with work days, holidays, etc. Why the change of heart?
  1. There are people in the community that are excited about learning English. Who am I to deprive them of that?
  2. Many of the men work for months at a time outside of the community because there are no jobs/economy to speak of nearby. If English gives them a leg up in getting a job, that will help bring money into the community. At this stage in development, money = better health (better food/nutrition, money for medicine and soap)
  3. Eventually that road will open up and 10-15 years from now there could be tourists. It really is a beautiful place, just super remote. Having a few community members that can speak some English could help bring tourist dollars into the community. See point 2 about money
  4. Learning is empowerment. Development work out here is a constant struggle against fatalism. If learning English empowers someone, making them feel they can take on other projects, that they aren't just the ignored lower class, cast aside by colonial powers and now by their own government, then I've done one of the best things I could have hoped to have accomplished in my two years.
I think I was coming at things from the wrong direction. I didn't want to teach English because I thought I would be watering down their own culture, like a second wave of colonialism washing down over them. But I see that learning English can live alongside an embracing of their culture.

This ties into development work in general. (Author's Note: I think I'll be writing many posts on this topic because it's controversial and fascinating.) I came to Panama with this idea that development work is important, but that I didn't want to bulldoze over cultures for the sake of a higher standard of living. After all, the US takes more than its fair share of natural resources. I would hate to see indigenous people going down this path that would eventually lead to losing their way of life coupled with a huge carbon footprint.

So here's where I'm at now in my evolving take on development. I want to help raise the standard of living. The children are sick with diarrhea, infections, have worms and amoebas. The adults fare better, but have some of the same issues. They deserve better. Everyone deserves good health. They deserve education. Knowledge really is power. With education, they will be able to work within the government's development plans for the region. And so I'm going to focus on that while I'm here. And while I worry that eventually there will be a Pottery Barn and McDonalds a chiva ride away, that's a long, long way off. In the meantime, I want to help improve access to better health and the empowerment that comes from knowledge.

Two years. Here goes nothing...